Sunday, April 15, 2012

Side Roads

A few weeks ago I had the wonderful opportunity to spend 4 hours driving with a dear saint in her mid 80's. She and her husband were precious saints in my church for several years and he just recently passed away. I was honored to be able to do the home going celebration for him as he was one of my very favorite people in the world! At the age of 90 his wit and humor always kept me laughing and his playful jabs always kept me humble!

On this particular occasion I was taking her to central California for her brother's funeral. On the road she began to open up about how wonderful her precious Richard had been and how thankful she was to God for granting them 10 wonderful years together. After both she and Richard's first spouses had passed on the Lord brought the two of them together and what a beautiful couple they were! As she opened up to me about their life together she shared with me about Richard's love of traveling. He wanted to go for a ride in the car nearly every day. They drove all over California and several times across the country!

She shared with me how they didn't like taking the quickest or the most direct routes on their trips. Often they would find a side road off the freeway that led to a small town or an attraction of some kind. Over the years many of the small towns across the country had by bypassed by freeways and highways and most people just raced past them now. She shared with me how very often they would find some of the most amazing little towns and places off the beaten path. Little stores with treasures almost forgotten by the outside world, or cottages almost unknown to travelers racing by on the freeway. She said they had discovered little ponds and parks and other little secluded places of beauty that would not be detectable from the main road.

This reminded me of a passage in the scripture that speaks of the hidden treasures stored up for those who trust the Lord. Psalm 25:14 declares that God reveals His mysteries to those who fear Him. He also goes on to declare through the prophet Isaiah:

"And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness—
secret riches.
I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord,
the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name."   -- Isaiah 45:3

God delights to reveal His wonderful treasures and mysteries to those who are willing to press into Him deeper than a surface or cursory glance. He has unspoken and untold riches stored up for each of us if we are willing to take some of the side roads or the roads less traveled. Many are they who travel on the highways and freeways of life. It's faster, wider, and more convenient. But, as my dear friend conveyed to me, we often miss those small miracles and treasures of life when we are in such a hurry. God has promised to reward those who press in more diligently and deeply into Him with a greater understanding of who He is. (Hebrews 11:6) He IS the treasure!

The majority of those in the world travel the wide road. But Jesus challenges us to take the narrow road and the road less traveled. It will be harder...and it will take considerably more time, but it is worth it! Don't be afraid to take some side roads...you just might discover a wonderful treasure around the next bend!

Blessings!

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment